Since when did falling off of the wagon mean that you stop drinking? I need to get reinvigorated here.
Hey mon, time for the Jamaican Martini mon! Nothing better than a tasty beverage while watching the best show on TV – Community. Let’s get right to it – no witty comments with this one.
- 2 ounces of dark run (Myers)
- 0.5 ounce of Tia Maria
Stir in a shaker over ice, strain into a martini glass over ice.
- Coffee and rum, together.
- You taste the coffee first and then the flavor of rum lingers.
- Not sweet and not strong. If you like coffee, then you’re gonna like this.
- Dave’s Rating: 5/10 (what can I say – I’m not a fan of coffee)
- Strength: 6/10
- Sweetness: 3/10
- Let this be the gateway to get back on the wagon.
No longer alone! The wife is home tonight to drink with me! Of course she drinks the wine and drink the liquor, but the important part is that I am not drinking alone! Tonight is time for some punch, the Yellow Bird, apparently a Caribbean favorite – let’s see if it is one of mine!
- 1 ounce dark rum (Myers)
- 1 ounce light rum (Bacardi)
- 0.25 ounce Tia Maria
- 1.25 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- mint sprig and maraschino cherry for garnish
Shake liquids vigorously over ice and serve in a collins glass over ice, garnish with mint sprig and maraschino cherry.
- Memories of drinking rum punch in the Caribbean come back quickly after the first sip.
- Very different from the other drinks I have made – very juicy – the alcohol is hidden in the sweetness. There is a hint of coffee in the aftertaste.
- The mint sprig and the cherry are just for show, but they certainly add to the fun factor.
- Dave’s Rating: 5/10
- Strength: 5/10 (it’s there, but you can’t taste it)
- Sweetness: 8/10
- A good rum punch to add to the collection – serve while serenading your friends with a steel drum.
The parents came to visit today, and since we always end up having to make them a cup of coffee, I thought it best to try a drink with some coffee liqueur in their honor – Tia Maria. Of course, when making the drink I misread the recipe, so my version has 3x as much Tia Maria and 3x as much triple sec. Interestingly enough, what came out was quite pleasant. So enjoy my screw-up. I will update this with the correct recipe one of these days, but until then I am christening this “Dave’s Centenario”. This drink is also in the tradition of a rum punch, with a lot of liquor mixing together with fruit flavors to mask its strength. I like it.
- 1.5 ounces gold rum (10 Cane)
- 0.75 ounce of white rum (Bacardi)
- 0.75 ounce Tia Maria (oops)
- 0.75 ounce triple sec (oops again)
- 1.5 ounces of fresh lime juice
- Dash of grenadine
- Garnish with a fresh mint sprig
Lots of ingredients here, throw them in a shaker, shake them up, serve in a collins glass filled with ice.
- Drink has a sweet start, a tart middle and a finish of coffee.
- Overall the drink is well-balanced, I think it would be a great summer drink.
- Be careful, there’s 2.5 shots of liquor in here.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10 (1 off for having coffee flavor!)
- Strength: 8/10
- Sweetness: 7/10
- Some screw ups do work out for the best.