California is awesome. After a conference meeting today in Orange County I got to ride down the coast in the wife’s convertible with the top down on a beautiful spring day. This is why I live here and why I never want to leave. A perfect sunny 7o degrees – ahhhh.
On another note, today is V-E Day in both America and England. One of the holidays that both countries can get behind – unlike the 4th of July, where England quite unfairly celebrates the relief of the burden of the United States on its economy. For the uninformed. V-E Day is Victory in Europe Day, which occurred on May 8, 1945.
After those two unrelated facts, on to the drink of the day. One of my recipe books has a section for “What to drink if you are tired of…”, and this one comes from that very section. Not that I could ever tire of them, but this is a drink for when you;ve had one too many Manhattans (not all in one evening).
- 3 ounces Canadian whisky (Crown Royal)
- 1 ounce of sweet vermouth
- 0.5 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 2 dashes of bitters
- maraschino cherry for garnish
Shake over ice and serve into a chilled martini glass.
- I am really impressed – an unassuming name but it has great flavor.
- The nutty maraschino flavor comes through, but is never overpowering.
- The vermouth, bitters and Crown Royal balance together in the background to complete the flavor.
- Dave’s Rating: 10/10 (whoa – what’s going on here?!?!)
- Strength: 6/10 (but stronger than it tastes)
- Sweetness: 6/10
- I didn’t expect this, but I would drink this one anytime. Well, if all the Makers and Coke runs dry.