Tonight we are going to start two new periodic features on the blog. The first is that tonight I will be reviewing a drink made for me in a bar instead of some homemade concoction. This means that I may not have the measurements on how to repeat the drink, but I tell you what the menu says, how it tastes and where you can get it. If it’s that good I may even try to replicate it at home. The second new addition will be a “This Day in Drink”. Periodically we’ll see what happened in the world that relates to the art of making drinks, call it a fun interesting fact de jour.
T.D.I.D.: On this day in 1990 Darryl Strawberry voluntarily entered alcohol rehab. Thought I would start with a positive one!
Back to the drinks. Tonight we joined our friends for dinner and drinks at Saltbox at the Palomar in downtown San Diego. After reviewing the choices, it seemed easy – the Bourbon Peach Tower. It was intriguing as it not only contained bourbon, but also because it was made with an egg white! I have always been nervous about a drink with an egg in it, so have always been too chicken (pun intended) to try for myself. So here goes:
- Peach Tea Infused Wild Turkey 81 Bourbon
- egg whites
- Peychaud’s Bitters
Drink served up in an old fashioned champagne glass.
- First the looks – what a cool looking frothy top! I guess there is a reason to add egg whites to a drink.
- Now on to the taste – the first impression is – “wow this is fragrant”, it almost tastes of perfume.
- For a drink advertised as containing peach you sure has heck can’t taste it!
- Dave’s Rating: 4/10
- Strength: 3/10 (did it have alcohol – just asking…)
- Sweetness: 7/10
- Basically the drink taste of grandma… like bad perfume. You can skip this one.
Final note: Saltbox is one to skip. The food is okay, but the prices are outrageous.