Fresh from the Hornblower kitchen came a plate of raspberries tonight, so I just had to take advantage. So after 20 minutes of scouring for a recipe that called for them I found the “Venus”. I prepared myself to enjoy and sweet beverage, fit to join yesterday’s Ballet Russe, but I couldn’t have been more wrong, and not necessarily in a bad way.
- 2 ounces gin (Bombay Sapphire)
- 1 once Cointreau
- 0.25 ounce simple syrup
- Dash of Peychaud’s bitters
- 8 fresh raspberries
Place all the liquid ingredients in a shaker over ice plus 6 of the raspberries, shake vigorously, strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with the two remaining raspberries. You have made yourself a Venus.
- This drink is not really sweet at all, with the dryness of the gin keeping the drink well-balanced.
- Honestly, the drink doesn’t taste that much of raspberry either, with the orange flavor of the Cointreau coming through just as much.
- A pleasant surprise.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10
- Strength: 6/10
- Sweetness: 3/10
- A fruity drink that’s not sweet.