We have tried to Rum Cooler, so why not the Rum Swizzle! I guess the best way to describe this would be to call it the “Advanced Rum Cooler”, and I have to say after tasting this, it is definitely the better alternative, fixing any of my critiques. Best of all, this doesn’t need a lot of unique ingredients to upgrade your cooler…
- 2 ounces dark rum (Myers)
- 0.5 ounce lemon juice
- 0.5 ounce triple sec
- 5-6 ounces of ginger ale
- lemon wheel
- Take one part Rum Cooler, add a couple of parts lemon juice and triple sec, and you have the new and improved Rum Swizzle!
- Drink retains the flavor of the rum, but really softens the flavor, making a much more drinkable beverage, loosing all the harshness.
- Dave’s Rating: 8/10
- Strength: 4/10
- Sweetness: 5/10
- Skip the Rum Cooler, this is better.
It is well-known that I love a rum and coke. So tonight it’s a variation on rum with a sugary beverage – the Rum Cooler. Instead of coke, this one takes ginger ale – so its a great drink when Mexican coke is not available at the local store!
- 2.5 ounces dark rum (Myers)
- 6 ounces ginger ale
- lemon twist (optional)
Simple to make – fill a glass with ice, pour in the rum, add the ginger ale, give it a sir and serve with a lemon twist.
- I really enjoy the flavor of dark rum – the thick raw sugar cane flavor with the hint of vanilla in the aftertaste, and that is exactly what you get here.
- The ginger ale is actually hard to discern, although that is not a negative here.
- The first taste is a little harsh, mirroring that of the rum, but the reward is great overall flavor.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10
- Strength: 4/10
- Sweetness: 6/10
- This is a great alternative when you burn out on rum and coke.