I was berated for being ordinary for last nights cocktail. Buy you have to remember, I need to add all the boring drinks for completeness. Its all good that you know how to make a fancy cocktail, but what if you want to know how to make something more pedestrian. Instead of making my case – here’s another fancy one – the New Orleans Martini.
3 ounces vanilla vodka
- 0.5 ounce dry vermouth
- 0.5 ounce Pernod
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- mint sprig for garnish
- The first sip, phew this is strong. Sounds so much better than the taste.
- The undertone is vanilla, but the aniseed of Pernod also permeates the drinks.
- Let’s look to the positive – the drink has a fun in golden tinge.
- Dave’s Rating: 3/10
- Strength: 8/10
- Sweetness: 3/10
- New Orleans is a fun place so I hear, this drink – not so much.
I can’t do all the work – what follows is a drink discovered by my friend Lisa on a trip to Key West. I received a desperate email demanding to include this on the blog with the title “Best Martini Ever”. That’s high praise, so once she returned from Florida, gathered all the necessary ingredients, I was held hostage at our F1 gathering to try it. For good measure, and to keep the tropical theme going – Bungi the parrot features in the photo shoot.
- 3 ounces Vanilla Vodka
- 1 ounce Coconut Rum
- 2.25 ounces lime creme liqueur
- Splash of lime juice
Shake vigorously over ice, rim a chilled martini glass with sugar, pour, garnish with a lime wedge and serve.
- Best martini ever is high praise, and unfortunately I cannot get there. Maybe Lisa had succumbed to the heat and humidity of a Florida night!
- I tried the drink the first time without the lime juice and found it wanting – it was too thick and creamy and needed the hit of citrus.
- This is a great drink, and I’m sure it will be hit with those people who want a fun fruity beverage.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10 (sorry Lisa)
- Strength: 7/10 (but it WILL kick your ass if you have a couple)
- Sweetness: 7/10
- I appreciate the help, but the search for the best martini ever continues…