It’s a stormy Friday 13th here in San Diego tonight. The cat isn’t a happy camper, and all he wants to do is hang out with me. Sounds like a perfect night for a drink.
So why the Lemon Drop? Simple enough, but last week I somehow ended up at the infamous Silver Fox in PB and more incredibly, I found myself drinking a Lemon Drop shot. Damn it was awful. With that as my background, I set out to make the ultimate version of this drink. I present to you – the fancy pants davedrinks Lemon Drop.
- 1.5 ounce lemon vodka
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- 1.5 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 ounce orange juice
Combine in a shaker over ice, shake and serve in a chilled sugar rimmed martini glass. Garnish with a lemon spiral.
- The same basic flavor profile of a Lemon Drop, but this one really pops. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and tart.
- The Silver Fox version was flat, but here you can really taste the lemon, the orange and the Grand Marnier as you sip.
- This may be based on a shot, but this is better enjoyed as a martini.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10
- Strength: 7/10
- Sweetness: 6/10
- Next time your buddy orders a Lemon Drop shot – make sure this is the one!
It’s Saturday night before the wife leaves for a week, so tonight we need to break out the Love Potion! I guess you’ll have to ask Kathryn tomorrow if it had the desired effect!
- 1.5 ounces lemon vodka (Ketel One)
- 0.75 ounce Chambord
- 0.75 ounce cranberry juice (unsweetened)
This is one of those throw it over ice, shake it up, in a martini glass drinks.
- After drinking I feel like tonight is the night.
- It’s sweet, but not overpowering, the Chambord is the star of the drink.
- A drink to make for the ladies.
- Dave’s Rating: 7/10
- Strength: 5/10 (but deceptive)
- Sweetness: 9/10
- Are there 9 of these?
Sometimes I don’t understand the name of cocktails, this is one of those times. All I can come up with is the “Jeanie” rhymes with “martini”. I’ll try to put this behind me as I sample this cocktail. Kathryn was flipping through the bar book and this one caught her eye, so let’s give it a whirl. I have to admit that I am not sure if this goes with the football gathering we are hosting. Go niners!
- 1.5 ounces Malibu Rum
- 1 ounce lemon Vodka (Kettle One)
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1.5 ounces cranberry juice (unsweetened)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- lemon twist
Nothing different here, mix up in a shaker over ice, shake it up, through it in a chilled martini glass.
- I should confess that I don’t like coconut. This drink smells of coconut and tastes a little of coconut, so there’s that.
- That said, this is a really nice drink, the flavors are very nice and its very satisfying.
- Not the manliest color, but I think this is a great drink.
- Dave’s Rating: 9/10
- Strength: 6/10 (with the “it’s a martini disclaimer”)
- Sweetness: 7/10
- If you don’t like coconut and you want coconut.