When Kathryn was a young lass (and I think that she was not alone in this) she thought that blackberry brandy was a great way to start her drinking career. Then she tried it and realized while it did have blackberry flavor, it also has brandy – not a drink for a novice palate. Now I have never tried the stuff for some reason and I keep seeing it in recipes, so I just had to get me some, especially as Ralph’s as having their 30% off 6 bottles of liquor sale! Not only did I try it, I went all in with blackberry brandy AND dry vermouth… is this a dangerous combination or a fantastic blend of flavors…
- 3 ounces gin (Bombay Sapphire)
- 0.5 ounce dry vermouth
- 0.5 blackberry brandy
- fresh blackberries to garnish (we had to forgo these today).
Pour the liquid in a martini glass over ice and shake, serve in a chilled martini glass and garnish with fresh blackberries.
- Whoa. Gin, dry vermouth… is there blackberries in here ? Could have fooled me.
- On a second and third sip, the powerful dry vermouth flavor gets a little more friendly… like that person from your past that friended you on Facebook that you really didn’t want to know any more, but you decide it’s not so bad they know what you’re doing after reading a couple of their posts.
- The drink has a hint of blackberries and honestly I cannot taste the brandy.
- If you’re desperate, you might want to make this for yourself.
- Dave’s Rating: 3/10
- Strength: 9/10 (careful… lots of liquor in here)
- Sweetness: 1/10
- I think I may have made the same mistake Kathryn did many years ago. One of these days I’ll find a good use for blackberry brandy.