I guess the 12 days of Christmas were clearly oversold as I didn’t get to 12. I certainly made more than 12 drinks, I just got lost somewhere in the festivities. Next year I will have to pick up with the remaining 9 cocktails of Christmas.
Speaking of the fat guy in the red suit, today’s drink comes from one of my Christmas presents from the wife – The Joy of Mixology. This has the potential to be another great source of recipes, and is very highly regarded – so as we continue the adventure we will have to see.
So enough banter, the drink of the night is the Canteen Cocktail. I have to say, looking at the contents, this is a drink I would not immediately be drawn to as I am not a fan of either Southern Comfort or amaretto, but I must continue on in the name of Dave Drinks. Let’s see how the first drink of 2015 does…
- 1.5 ounces white rum
- 1.5 ounces Southern Comfort
- 0.5 ounce amaretto
- 0.5 ounce lime juice
Combine ingredients and shake over ice, serve in a chilled martini glass.
- Except for the rum, each element of the drink can easily be identified in the taste, and I actually have to say, the taste of both Southern Comfort and amaretto are both well received.
- A sweet drink, but far from sickly so, this has the potential to sneak up on you if you have a few.
- If I were to describe a sip – starts with amaretto, middle is SoCo and the end is tart lime. The white rum is forgotten.
- Dave’s Rating: 8/10
- Strength: 6/10
- Sweetness: 7/10
- I am amazed how much I like this drink – I really was expecting this to be a solid 4/10, who knew!